Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ride report: Cedar Key, Florida


I've had my new Vespa LX 150 for five weeks now, and yesterday I took her for our first long ride. We started with 158 miles on the odometer and ended the day with 275.

The weather was unseasonably warm for north central Florida -- about 75 F. The morning started out so cloudy, I wasn't so keen on the ride until later when some blue sky started to peek through.


A two-lane state road runs nearly straight from my home to Cedar Key, a former fishing village on Florida's Gulf coast. I figured it to be a good first trip because there's enough traffic on the road to keep me from becoming a sad story ("Found three days later ...") but not so much traffic that it's no fun to ride. The road is so straight, it's not exactly exciting, but the trees are pretty, and the air is marvelous.

I was really glad to be wearing a proper motorcycle jacket, with double zippers and Velcro flaps. I was doing 60 mph much of the time (speed limit = 60), and I have no windscreen. My arms and shoulders are a little stiff today, but I think the jacket protected me better than most.

The Vespa rode like a champ and was completely comfortable. I stopped to stretch my legs and get a beverage once in each direction.


I didn't stay long in Cedar Key -- I've been there many times. Took some time to sit by the water and watch the boats, then hopped back on and rode home. All in all I was out for about four hours, enjoying lots of fresh air and sunshine!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home